? THE KEY BITS
- Whereabouts: We are a fully remote company with distributed team members. For this role, we prioritize candidates who are based in Eastern North/South American or Eastern European time zones.
- Visas: We do not sponsor work visas or relocation expenses.
- Salary: We have budgeted $150k – $230k USD for this position depending on experience but encourage all candidates who are excited about the role and believe they are qualified to apply.
- Equity: Every full-time hire at Slate receives equity in the company. Equity amount will be determined at the time of hire based on experience, seniority and role.
- Video Interviews: Phone Screen with People & Culture Lead Nicole, Second Interview with CoFounder/CEO Michael, Third Interview with CoFounders/COO Will and CoFounder/President Eric, Fourth Interview with Chief Architect & Engineering Team Lead Maciej and potentially more team members.
- Any final candidates will also have an opportunity to meet other team members
- Any final candidates may also be asked to meet with a Slate Technical Advisor
- Ideal Start Date: ASAP
- Reporting to: Michael Horton, CoFounder/CEO
? OUR MISSION
Slate has big ambitions: We were born out of our Founders’ own experiences; to solve the problems all brands face today when it comes to creating content for social media. We have come together out of a passion for solving big problems, building a company based on the deeply held values we share, and to make social content creation effortless for brands.
? OUR VISION
? YOUR CONTRIBUTION
Leadership, Team-Building, Recruitment & Retention
- Attract, coach, retain and scale high-performing, highly skilled, diverse and effective technology teams.
- Create accountability expectations and consistently assess, develop and empower direct and indirect reports to their fullest potential to meet the team’s goals.
- Empower and motivate the team by removing obstacles, providing resources, coaching and mentorship.
- Build a financially-leveraged team by creatively balancing outsourced resources when needed with in-house teams across geographies.
- Establishing training, professional development and other incentive programs to increase the effectiveness of our team members.
- Develop and monitor technology KPIs to improve measurement and forecasting of the technology teams’ performance.
- Establish and enforce technology policies and operating procedures for maintaining a world-class technology division and culture, adjusting as needed based on business needs.
- Develop an innovation strategy that leverages external technical partnerships. Identify, negotiate, and develop strategic technical partnerships to support business priorities and objectives.
- Communicate technology strategy to key accounts, partners and investors.
- Empower our technology team to meet their planned objectives/KPIs, develop a strong and focused culture, and be responsive to the company’s mission and needs.
- Drawing on your technology experience, identify the appropriate technology stack and ensure its alignment with company stage, needs, goals, and planned roadmap.
- Oversee all aspects of the technology architecture and infrastructure to ensure functionality, security, efficiency and scalability. Ensure data privacy and system security compliance for all operations across all geographies.
- Enforce quality assurance and data protection processes, ensuring all technology practices adhere to regulatory standards.
- Set the standards for our operational excellence, including fast cycle development capabilities and all aspects of the development lifecycle from requirements analysis, strategic planning, design/architecture, execution, deployment, and maintenance.
- Ensure technologies are used efficiently, profitably, and securely. Mitigate duplication of effort and ensure software is architected for long-term stability.
- Work closely with our Product team to develop innovative technology solutions that help create the best-in-class content creation products that Slate is known for.
- Partner with the Founding team to define product vision and strategy. Align and provide feedback on the product roadmap, works closely with product team and founders to decide on prioritization, resource allocation, and timelines.
- Collaborate, align and engage cross functionally with other executives needed to execute the roadmap and assess and prioritize potential opportunities.
- Establish and oversee technology budgets for purchasing, staffing and technology operations.
- Establishing principles and standards for evaluating make/buy decisions.
- Develop & distribute technology reports for the executive team and board when required.
- Work closely with the founding team to develop strategies on how product can help achieve Slate’s business objectives.
- Stay aware of trends in emerging, advanced or innovative technologies & tools to empower the Engineering team.
- Develop presentations for speaking engagements, podcasts, webinars and other relevant industry conferences when needed.
- Requires prior experience in a lead role within an engineering team or department (at least 3+ years’ experience as Director of Eng, VP of Eng, CTO, Head of Eng ect.)
- Requires previous experience working in a startup environment in a leading technology role (preferably with a track record of one or more successful exits).
- Proven track record in recruiting, attracting and retaining engineering talent and in growing and scaling startup Engineering teams.
- Expert-level understanding of engineering best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding & security standards, code review, source control, build, QA, deployment and development operations (Prior, hands-on experience as an engineer required).
- Broad knowledge of programming languages, software architecture, design and advanced data systems.
- Drawing on your technology experience, has established a philosophy on how world-class technology products are built, shipped and scaled.
- Proven success in building, shipping and scaling world-class technology solutions. Requires experience with SaaS & mobile application products.
- Experience managing distributed teams, including international and remote engineering teams, in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent leadership, communication & public speaking skills with a track record of providing coaching and mentorship to engineering talent.
- Proven experience establishing successful technology partnerships and working cooperatively with partners & suppliers.
- Strong technology business acumen and experience developing and monitoring annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing and technology operations.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or other IT discipline, or equivalent practical experience.
- Previous experience in a leadership role at a startup. Extra bonus points for a successful exit!
- Extensive experience with video and/or graphic editing / design or content creation products.
- ??? #PeopleFirst: We put people first, and care about the personal well being of our colleagues. We go above and beyond for our customers and each other.
- ⛰️ #EmbraceAdventure: We are excited to take on new challenges, grow, and change in a fast changing environment. A willingness to pitch in and get outside of your comfort zone will help us thrive.
- ? #Innovate to be Great: We’re creative, innovative, & think BIG! We’re a unique company blazing our own path. We got to where we are through creativity and innovation and are only confined by our notions of what is possible.
- ? #Win or Lose, Wear It: Celebrate your successes but also own your failures.
- ? #Stronger Together: We are a team dedicated to collaboration and transparency. We keep lines of communication open and realize that we can only win if we work together.
- ? Fully remote – work where you want
- ? Flex hours – we just ask you be available for core meetings
- ? Equity options
- ? Unlimited PTO policy – we mean it and encourage you to take it
- ? Medical, Dental, Vision Benefits (85% medical, 75% dental & vision; 25% for dependents) – US only and stipend for international
- ? Health and Wellness monthly stipend
- ? Annual company retreats
- ? Home office budget or co-working space allowance
- ? Learning and Development Support
- ? 401k options – US only
- ???? Work with an Amazingly Fun and Collaborative Team!!? We support DEIB initiatives and strongly encourage women and those in traditionally underrepresented groups to apply even if you don’t check all boxes. If this job interests you and you think you have what it takes, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.