As an Engineering Manager at Follow Up Boss, you will serve as a coach, mentor, and advocate for engineers. You will help guide engineers through career and technical development, improve our engineering processes, ensure we ship quality software, and help us build strong teams as we grow.
Why would you want to work here?
- Opportunity to have a big impact on our growth and your career
- No red tape or pointless meetings
- Competitive base salary – top 10% in US; for this position, the starting salary is $220k.
- Strong benefits package including a 401k with 6% match, health/dental/vision insurance for you and our family, funding for continuing education, paid parental leave, kindle + unlimited books, home office setup, company meetups, and 20 PTO + 10 sick days.
- See the direct impact of your work and the value you created for customers.
- Provide direct input on technical and non-technical decisions—your opinion matters.
This role is for you if…
- You would describe yourself as a patient, empathetic, and having a good sense of humor.
- You’re independent, self-motivated and can stay efficient and productive without someone looking over your shoulder all day long
- You have superb written and verbal skills (with a professional yet fun demeanor)
- You are based in the United States (or similar time zone)
- You are happy to communicate directly with customers (we are customer driven).
Your qualifications include:
- Self-motivated and proactive mindset.
- Remote work experience is required.
- Based in the USA, with a quiet home office with fast internet.
- At least 8+ years of experience in web development, and at least 3 years of management experience.
- You have the desire to grow and learn as a manager, grow and develop others, and get results through others rather than personal technical proficiency.
- You are proficient with software development practices for triage, prioritization, and execution. We use Shape Up.
- You communicate clearly and can develop positive relationships with others, regardless of their rank or role.
- You resolve problems, manage risk, lead change, facilitate collaborative decision-making, and delegate to team members with different skill sets from your own.
- Strong technical background, preferably with PHP, React, RDBMS, and AWS.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- Pragmatic decision-making.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Mentor and provide regular feedback to employees regarding code quality, career development, communication style, and work-life balance.
- Communicate your team’s goals, the scope and risks of your projects, and be responsible for the delivery of initiatives on clear timelines.
- Ensure the software your team delivers is on time, high quality, measurable, and maintainable.
- Participate in hiring and sourcing to build a diverse, high performance engineering team.
- Collaborate with engineering, product and design leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet our objectives.
- Provide clarity to the team and the company, ensuring they have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions.
- Ensure our service runs with a high level of reliability, performance, and security.
- Encourage an environment of technical excellence, and facilitate architectural discussions and decision making.
- Be a technical point of contact for partnerships as we grow.
- Technical vetting of product pitches.
- Do some practical coding with the team when it makes sense.
30 Day Targets
- Become familiar with our product, codebase and processes.
- Pair with engineering leadership to gain knowledge about the system and how we work.
- Improve the new hire onboarding process, by being a part of it.
- Transition of 6-7 current engineers to your charge.
60 Day Targets
- Leading 2-3 product projects within our development cycle.
- Assist in code review.
- Assist in planning our tech debt/cool down work.
90 Day Targets
- Improve processes in the areas of testing, dev tooling, code quality, and training.
- Assist in engineering hiring and sourcing efforts
- Provide technical vetting for product pitches
Core Engineering Values
- Code Quality
- Focus and Prioritization
- Customer Driven
- Leadership Qualities
Why Follow up Boss?
? Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like!
? Competitive salary: Our career framework pays in the top 10% no matter where you live.
??⚕️ Insurance: Company paid health, dental & vision insurance for all of our team members and their families.
? Family leave: generous family leave – fully paid!
? Home office setup: Get a Macbook Pro + $1000 to set up your home office.
??? Personal development stipend: $1000 per year to focus on bettering yourself.
? 401(k): With 6% company match!
✈️ Retreats: Join us for company get-togethers every year!
☕️ Co-working stipend: Get some extra cash for a co-working space or a coffee shop work.
? Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books – digital and audio – you like, anytime.
? Gym: Monthly stipend to keep you active and feeling good.
Apply for the job
If you’re thinking: “This is totally me!” then be sure to apply below. We can’t wait to meet you!