We’re a digital distributor for electronic music labels, artists, and DJs. Distro platforms like Proton help deliver music to other platforms like Beatport + Spotify that sell, stream, or monetize our music. We power over 2K indie electronic music labels and are the #1 provider of DJ Mixes to Spotify + Apple. Learn more about us in the links below:
About the Role: Software Project Manager (Senior)
We’re looking for someone with 2-3 years full-time project manager experience in web and/or software development. You’d join a team of 6 software engineers and work closely with our product director/CEO, most of whom are active creators in the electronic music scene themselves.
This is a full-time position but with very flexible hours: we’re dedicated to lifestyle design & personal freedom for our team!
Own project documentation and backlog management + assist with sprint planning.
- Work closely with our product director/CEO to deeply understand our platform and product vision, then help translate into project planning + team communication
- Attend project planning meetings and take notes that are clear, concise, and actionable
- Document and organize active + future projects in our project management software (Asana)
- Break down long term projects into sprint-sized blocks of work
- Help balance team’s workload + priorities, consulting leadership to help inform prioritization
Articulate and assign specific tasks to teammates in a friendly and actionable manner.
- Communicate and organize work in a way that’s flexible + mindful of our fully remote team
- Identify and provide additional resources or context when needed
- Remain aware of individual workloads, capacity, motivations, and communication preferences
- Run effective meetings and hold team members accountable
Amplify focus and flow for all teammates
- Monitor and unblock progress with sensitivity + kindness: be our flow facilitator, not time cop
- Smooth communication across collaborators – notice info gaps and help fill them proactively
- Push back on potential scope creep and distractions to preserve team focus
- Reduce project management on CEO and tech leads
Contribute to a motivated and engaged team culture
- Keep team engaged but not overloaded: help them have the right mix of work on their plates
- Identify opportunities to celebrate successes in a meaningful, authentic, and personalizedway
- Create rituals that recognize individual contributors and contextualize the significance of their accomplishments
Requirements for the Role
We’re looking for someone who has…
Relevant work experience:
- 2-3 years full-time project manager experience in web and/or software development
- At least 1 year experience managing projects remotely with a distributed team
- Confident and experienced using task management software like Asana, Trello, etc.
Professional and technical skills:
- Strong technical aptitude: ability to understand complex technical concepts and ecosystems
- Skilled communicator: attentive listener with a clear speaking and writing style; asks thoughtful questions to build clarity.
- Diligent and detail-oriented: keeps work clearly organized and documented; follows up and follows through
- Time-conscious, not time cop: skillfully balances ability to unblock work while respecting individual autonomy
Interpersonal and emotional skills:
- Open and able to customize communication to individuals of a remote team
- Builds awareness of team dynamics and collaboration styles to help facilitate team flow
- Skillfully sparks action without shaming or blaming
- Strives to proactively reduce cognitive burden on the rest of the team
Nice to Haves:
- Curious, inquisitive, excited to dig into a complex industry
- Flexible and open-minded in the face of ambiguity or unexpected change
- Brings humor and lightheartedness to work
Our Engineering Stack
- Asana + Slack
- GraphQL + Rails + PHP
- Google Cloud
- Redis + Resque
- Circle CI, GitHub, Cypress
Work Environment: 100% Remote & Independently Motivated
Proton is a fully remote organization, so candidates must be comfortable & able to thrive without in person collaboration or a high level of daily social interactions. Our engineering team is entirely based in North/South America, so time zones are generally aligned. We organize our work in Asana, Slack, and GitHub.
Flexible Full Time, Supporting Lifestyle Design
Proton is committed to supporting lifestyle design & personal freedom for our team. While we have several full time salaried team members working 5 days a week, we also have contractors working flexible 15-30 hour weeks, or full time staff that squeeze their time into 4 days and take Friday off. In other words, we’re intentionally flexible to find a schedule that helps you thrive.
Self-Starters & Creative Problem Solvers
A culture of electronic music lovers & makers.